Chaos Erupts At 1st Charlottesville City Council Meeting Since Car Attack

The meeting was briefly suspended.

It said the warrants stem from incidents the evening of August 11, when hundreds of white nationalists marched on campus, chanting anti-Semitic slogans and carrying torches. They also urged the council to push for the removal of Confederate monuments from the city.

A Virginia law prohibits cities and people from disturbing or interfering with monuments - a challenge that Charlottesville officials mentioned.

"The council also voted unanimously to drape the statues 'in recognition of the city's mourning'".

Police said James Alex Fields Jr. rammed his auto into a group demonstrating against the "Unite the Right" rally, killing Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others. James Alex Field, 20, has been charged with her murder.

His next court appearance is scheduled for October 12, according to court officials.

While the city council had an agenda, councilors ultimately made a decision to listen to people's concerns on the events that led to the death of Heather Heyer and several injuries, according to Newsy. Throughout the meeting, attendees interrupted Mayor Mike Signer several times by shouting.

"During a briefing on the Thursday before August 12 with the Police Chief, the Fire Chief, and the City Manager, when I asked the Police Chief what I could do to be helpful during that day as Mayor, he answered, 'Stay out of my way, ' " Signer wrote in the post.

"You all let this city down", she said.

As the city continues to face a public outcry over what many feel was a lackluster police response to an event that carried high potential for violence and chaos, the council was planning a closed-door meeting Thursday, apparently to discuss personnel matters related to the police department led by Chief Al Thomas, who a year ago became Charlottesville's first African-American police chief.

When the meeting resumed, speakers one after another berated the council members for not heeding community concerns before the rally.

And the police, one unidentified woman said, "did nothing".

Residents attending the meeting took the council members to task for the way the city handled the rally of white nationalists earlier this month. Police then held back to the park while several major fights broke out around the downtown area.

News media outlets report that Christopher Cantwell appeared before an Albemarle County General District Court judge on Thursday after turning himself in to authorities late the night before.

"Why did you approve it in the first place?" a person in the audience asked.

Related Articles