It came after a USA air strike in Sangin killed at least 18 civilians, mostly women and children, in February.
On Saturday, Afghan officials said as many as 16 civilians, including women and children, had been killed by a U.S. air strike in Nangarhar, but American officials said only militants were killed. Claims of "extremists" are common enough for the Pentagon at first blush, but with the casualties heavily women and children, it won't stand up to much scrutiny.
A statement from U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, though, said the airstrike killed only militants.
As part of an increased campaign against both Islamic State and the Taliban, the dominant Islamist militant group in Afghanistan, the U.S. Air Force has dropped almost 2,000 weapons in the country as of the end of July, compared to fewer than 1,400 in all of previous year. "The strike was conducted in the middle of open terrain".
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor, previously said that an unknown number of casualties had occurred in the area, but later confirmed that at least 16 civilians were killed. "This is the second false claim of civilian casualties in the same district within the last three weeks", the military said in a news release.
The United States now has about 8،400 soldiers in Afghanistan with another 5،000 troops from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies. Back in February، American airstrikes also killed 22 civilians in the same province.
Afghanistan is still suffering from insecurity and violence years after the United States and its allies invaded the country as part of Washington's so-called war on terror.
The war in Afghanistan is the longest in United States history with a cost of about $1 trillion. It is not known how many were wounded, he added.
US President Donald Trump has been skeptical about the military campaign in Afghanistan.