Seven U.S. service members are reported wounded after an insider attack in northern Afghanistan occurred at 2 p.m. local time on Saturday, according to a statement released by NATO's Resolute Support mission on Twitter. "We only have reports of injured foreign troops", said Muhammad Radmanish, the ministry's spokesman.
Several US soldiers were wounded on Saturday after being shot by an Afghan soldier at a base in northern Afghanistan on Saturday, the third insider attack on US troops stationed in the country this year, and the second on one week.
"We can confirm there are no USA or NATO Resolute Support fatalities", NATO said in a statement.
The incident took place at Afghan National Army's (ANA) Shaheen Corps in Mazar-e Sharif city of Balkh province.
The NATO-led mission said it has opened an investigation.
A spokesman for the Afghan Army's 209th Corp had earlier said four American soldiers were shot and killed. "One Afghan soldier was killed and one was wounded in the incident". USA soldiers have been wound. The attackers were disguised in Afghan army uniforms. There were no US fatalities.
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said this week that he will present a new United States military strategy for Afghanistan, along with adjusted troop numbers, in the coming weeks to President Donald Trump.
Camp Shaheen, where the 209th Corps is based, was also the site of a large Taliban attack in April that left hundreds of Afghan soldiers dead.
American military commanders in Afghanistan have requested thousands of additional boots on the ground to boost the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation troop presence in the country.